Lola O.
I wanted to have some concrete goals for the next year so that I don't forget why I decided to go on this journey to Seoul. These are not maybe goals but are of the MUST HAPPEN kind.

  • Travel
    • Japan (Tokyo, Okinawa)
    • China
    • Other places in Asia if I get the opportunity
  • Friends
    • Be open-minded while staying true to myself
      • Don't just hang out with one type or group of people, but make an eclectic group of friends that are interesting in more than just drinking/partying every weekend.
  • Personal
    • Open-mind: Approach each situation, place, person, challenge with an open-mind and heart. Don't be too hard on yourself if you screw up...take it as a learning opportunity. Observe. Learn. Reflect. Start again.
    • Positive Attitude: Smile, laugh, and have FUN EVERY DAY. No matter what happens do not sink into sadness, loneliness, bitchiness, IHATEKOREA-ness, or anything of that sort. Remember that a positive attitude goes a long way. Be respectful, flexible, but never be a doormat.
    • Relax: It's okay if you screw up, have a bad day, make a mistake, or just feel down once in a while but you must remember to: enjoy each moment, day, and experience. Don't get lost in thoughts. Don't try to always have it planned out. Go with the flow, be spontaneous, and let yourself enjoy EVERYTHING and EVERYONE!!!
    • Growth: Be flexible, learn, and positive change. Try new things, meet different kinds of people, and just take advantage of every opportunity that comes my way. Don't forget why you are here.
    • Acoustic Guitar: Buy a left-handed guitar and find someone to give you lessons.
  • Seoul
    • Do everything on my list of things to do and places to go within the next year. Every week explore/discover something new about Seoul.
  • Money
    • Save at least $7000
    • Pay off my credit card before my 23rd B-day (9/19/2010)
    • Spend more on traveling, trying new food, than clothes or accessories.
  • Culture
    • People: Learn as much as I can about the history and customs of the Korean people. Don't always think I am right and they are wrong. Remember to be flexible, open-minded, and understanding of the differences between us.
    • Food: BE OPEN-MINDED and try everything once!!!
  • Language
    • Take a Korean Class
      • Practice Korean for at least 30 minutes everyday
    • Find a reliable Korean Conversation Partner
I feel like these are reasonable goals for my journey to Seoul. I will print them out and place them somewhere I can see on a daily basis so I don't lose track of my goals. Well this is the last blog entry in the Journey To Seoul series. Thanks for reading!!!

Be Blessed,
Lola O.
9 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Hi Lola,

    I came across your blog a few weeks back and have really enjoyed reading it so far^^

    Your outlook is awesome.
    Seoul isn't going to know what's hit it!



  2. JIW Says:

    great goal~ I would suggest that if you don't see everything in Seoul that is okay. If you plan on being here more than a year than you kind of want to have stuff you never see later on. Also who knows...you might be dating someone in the future and some places would be great first time dates.

    Anyways sounds like you are getting along just fine here in kimchi land. :)


  3. Anonymous Says:

    And another chapter in your life will soon begin.:-) If I ever go to Seoul, I think I’d probably have to control my self from yelling ‘Oppa’ at random guys there hehe ( watching too many K-dramas can really mess up your mind :-D ) I guess the next series ( if you actually have the time to write while in Seoul) will be the best.:-)Is it too early to wish you a Bon Voyage?:-)

    ~Ana


  4. Lola O. Says:

    Joy, I don't leave till next month:)...we definitely must meet up in person once I get settled in there:). I know there are some places I won't be able to see in a year, but I want to do my best to see as much as I can.

    Ana, it's never to early:)...I can understand what you mean since I watch too many kdramas myself. No worries, writing is my outlet, so there will always be postings so look forward to them.


  5. MC Says:

    Lola, since you are a Christian, have you found any churches in Seoul that u would like to attend?


  6. Lola O. Says:

    I haven't...I was planning to wait until I know where I live/teach to hopefully find one not to far away. One Dave's there is a list of quite a few churches I could possibly attend.


  7. Anonymous Says:

    I like your personal goal of having a positive attitude. It took me 10 months to get to that point of just ignoring the negative and embracing the positive. You seem like a really positive individual so you'll be able to accomplish that personal goal. Lola Hwaiting!! ^_^


  8. Lola O. Says:

    Thanks Omo O. I have found that having a positive attitude makes any situation less dire. Just got to take the good with the bad, with a smile and a laugh!