Lola O.
With 7 days left before I leave I decided to stay up last night and try to pack all my stuff into 2 suitcases, 1 carry-on, and a backpack. That was a TOTAL FAILURE. Honestly, I decreased the amount of stuff I am bringing by a lot. You should see the amount of stuff in my closet that is not going. Even with all that, I could not fit everything into the 2 suitcases.

I was getting really stressed, and decided to take a nap at 4AM...all that effort for nothing. I woke up to see the nightmare was not over. Yes, it is my fault that I like my clothes, shoes, purses, and specific products. Believe me, I wish I did not have so much stuff, but I do and right now reminds me of trying to pack for college. People keep saying you don't really need all those clothes, and maybe...most likely they are right. BUT, I have never lived overseas for a whole year, I have no idea when I will come home, getting it shipped would cost just as much as excess luggage and take way longer, I am not a skinny person with small feet so most of the stuff in Korea will not fit me, and blah blah blah. The point is that I like variety in my wardrobe and I want to be comfortable in that one year instead of wishing I had brought this and that.

I like to be over prepared and cover all my bases. Okay, so my mom comes out of her room and sees the chaos that used to be the living room...and she just looks at me all sympathetically and my Grandma is in the kitchen and is like WOW, that is no small job, and I just close my eyes and sink into the couch feeling all defeated that my staying up all night was a total waste because I have too much stuff and...I don't even know what to say anymore.

I really didn't want to be the girl at orientation who brought a crap load of stuff but it seems I shall be the girl with three suitcases because it seems two is not going to cut it. I wish I was one of those girls who could pack up my life so easily but it seems I cannot. I think bringing a 3rd luggage is probably better than bringing two 100 lb luggages. I just keep visualizing myself as Renee Z in the movie New In Town trying to push all my luggages minus the stilettos through the airport. I just hope I don't make a total fool out of myself.

*Sigh*...so it seems I shall take 2 large suitcases and 1 medium suitcase with my backpack and carry-on. At least I will be comfortable for the next year. I think my nerves are rattled since time seems to be speeding up on me. I think I just need to make a new game plan and start packing attempt 2 tonight and continue to minimize the stuff I am bringing.

I need to find a lamp that contains a packing genie to grant me some wishes. I just hope there is a kind and strong person at orientation to help me with my luggages.

I know I am sick of me too...

Ciao
~Lola O.
2 Responses
  1. Dani Says:

    Truuuuust me, you do not need to bring a lot of clothes with you. No matter how much you bring, you're going to be sick of all of them after a few months. :( I brought two suitcases that were jammed to the max, and I wish I'd brought less. Some of the stuff I haven't even worn, ahaha, but I'm just sick of all of my clothes! I guess the good thing is that I'm so sick of them that I'm going to be throwing them out once I leave, so at least it's helping me to clean out my closet. But still...

    *Getting* new clothes is going to be your main issue because, like I said, you're going to be sick of everything you own within about two or three months and then you'll have few places to shop. I'm not skinny either -- and I have ginormo feet -- but there are a few places I can shop here. Uniqlo and Forever 21 have some good shirts or dresses usually. Seoul is finally getting an H&M in March 2010, right after I leave, of course. If I were you, I'd bring a lot of bottoms and cut back on the tops. I'm sure you've heard it before, too, but you don't need a lot of dressy stuff at all. Most likely you'll be able to just wear jeans and a nice-ish top to teach in. I wear plain v-neck shirts and jeans all the time.

    Also something to note about work clothes is that you don't need shoes! You'll have to wear slippers in your school.

    Another way to get clothes is to just order online and have your parents send it to you. It's nice to go "shopping" at Target.com or Oldnavy.com once every few months.

    Good luck, and don't panic too much! It's kind of overwhelming at first, but it's nowhere near as D: D: D: as I thought it would be when I first came over. :)


  2. Lola O. Says:

    Thanks Dani...I have been decreasing my stuff so I feel better about it. Thanks for the places you suggested for shopping. I think I have just been feeling overwhelmed about packing my life for the next year.

    Anyways thanks for the encouragement, I am feeling less stressed now.