Lola O.
Technically it is Monday morning but I want to talk about how blessed I felt on Sunday. I love going to church and the best part of it for me is the praise and worship part. Being someone who loves music like a second skin I just feel very close to God when I hear the praise and worship songs. I really needed to feel that closeness because I was feeling so overwhelmed and stressed for the past few days.

I think the feeling of being overwhelmed was way past due since I have been so calm the whole summer about moving to Korea. At church there was this song that the choir sang that made me feel like God was speaking to me through the lyrics and letting me know that I am not in this alone. I knew that, but I think I needed that reminder of His presence in my life.

When I decided to take this leap and go to South Korea to teach I did it with the intention of giving myself time and challenges to grow into the woman I want to be. I think a person cannot grow if everything is the same and there are no challenges that stretch your mind, heart, and soul into different directions. I want to be stretched, tested, and taught in my year in Korea. I also want to do the same by my students. Not only to teach them English but to also teach them about diversity and my own dual culture as a Nigerian-American.

I think that life is a journey and we have different paths that we can take based on the choices we make, the people we meet, the opportunities that come our way, and the plans God has for us. I don't want to walk down a static path. No, I want to walk down a dynamic path and do different things. I think I need this year to see who I am and who I can be. I guess I want to know what I am capable of us. I want to push past my limits and the boundaries of this world and take flight.

I don't want to be standing on the earth when I can be soaring through the clouds. I want to let my light shine brightly and to know that I can do anything I put my mind to. To know that I am strong, smart, and capable. I know I am those things, but I want to expand and grow in those three areas. I want to see and learn about more of this world we live in. I hope and pray that this is just the beginning of my adventure.

I just need to remember the power of positive thoughts. You can accomplish so much more if you don't let yourself or other people bring you down with their negativity. Today I remembered to take it easy and more importantly to have fun and enjoy myself. This is something I wanted to do, I am blessed to be able to do it, so instead of sweating the details I need to take in the big picture.

So no more ranting, stressing, or freaking out this last week....and no more blog entries about those things!:) I am going to get everything done in time. I am going to enjoy my friends and family before I leave. I am going to have fun packing and preparing to leave. I am going to smile and laugh as much as possible. I am going to think, be, and live positively. I am going to challenge myself to try new things, explore different places, and stretch my mind. I am going to remember to stray true to myself and just believe that I can do this.

My favorite Bible verse is Jeremiah 29:11:
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
I reflect on this verse daily because there is such a simple truth to it. The Lord did not being me or you to this world to suffer. No He created us to live happily, to achieve great things, and to love and be loved. This verse always makes me feel better. I guess my message in this post is it is going to be okay. For those leaving what they know for something new you are going to do great things because you can. You have worked hard to get to that point, so don't stand at the edge of the bridge. Instead, take that first step and the others will follow.

I feel truly blessed for the friends and family I have and the prayers and wishes they have sent my way. I feel abundantly encouraged and supported by you all. My heart and spirit is uplifted and I'm glad to have you all on this journey with me.

I feel sooooo much better and I am going to remember that I am doing this for a reason and I am not going to let any situation or person bring me down including myself.

This song is by one of my favorite Christian artists and I consider it to be a wonderful music pick me up.



Be Blessed,
~Lola O.~
6 Responses
  1. Yo MC Says:

    Have you found a church to attend in Seoul?


  2. Lola O. Says:

    Not yet. Since I don't know which district in Seoul I will be placed in I don't know which church is closest to me.

    I know I want a Christian church with English services, Bible Study if possible, and just an overall welcoming kind of place. If you have a suggestions pass them my way:)


  3. Anna Says:

    Hello! I found your blog last week and I've been keeping up with your new posts. I think it's awesome that you're going to teach in Seoul! That is what I'm planning to do when I graduate from school this May. I am sure this is what I want to do, but even though I have a year left to decide, I still feel some anxiety about going. And I am constantly repeating Jeremiah 29:11 to myself - it's such a simple yet powerful verse full of so much truth! :)

    Anyway, I saw that you were looking for a Christian church with English services in Seoul. I just got back from spending a month in Seoul and while I was there I attended Sarang Community Church, which is located in Seocho-gu. There is an English-speaking branch of the church - New Harvest Ministries. I really enjoyed the services I attended there, and everyone was very friendly. Here is the website for the church if you're interested. :) http://english.sarang.org/

    I hope that you have a wonderful week and a safe trip to Korea! :)

    Anna


  4. Lola O. Says:

    Thanks for the suggestion Anna! I will put church on my list of ones to check out.

    You have the whole year to prepare yourself so enjoy it and give yourself time to let it all sink in. You are ahead of the game since you have already been there and gotten a taste of life there.


  5. Anna Says:

    No problem! :)

    I did have a quick question for you, though. I saw a link for KoreaConnections recruiting company at the top of your blog, and I am assuming that this is who you went through to get a job. I have this recruiting company saved on my list, and I was wondering how they were. Did you like working through them to get a job? :)

    Anna


  6. Lola O. Says:

    I did go through Korea Connections and I worked with Jamie. I liked them because I had sooooo many questions and they answered them fast and patiently. However I think each company has it ups and downs. My biggest recommendation is to stay on top of them and make sure you are doing your own research and asking LOTS of questions.

    Let me know if you have any other questions. It all depends on whether you want to work public or private. I would recommend public. If you look at the sidebars on the right there are lots and helpful information. I would refer you to the TEFL section for now.